As Philly slowly reopens, we’re getting to get back to all of the things that make the city as awesome as it is: world-class restaurants, diverse shopping opportunities, history and cultural institutions. And right near your 1500 Locust apartment, there are also plenty of entertainment venues to deliver all of the fun you’ve been missing over the last year-and-a-half: live concerts, theater performances and comedy shows.
On the last front, one of the region’s best-known comedy clubs is a great place to enjoy a night out as we all try to get back to normal. Helium Comedy Club, a half-mile from your 1500 Locust apartment, hosts world-class comedic talent several times a week, along with open mic events, comedy competitions and much more. With a bar featuring top-shelf spirits, wines and craft beers from the region and beyond, and a menu that includes light bites and sumptuous entrees, the atmosphere at the club is just as exciting as the show.
Most shows include at least two opening acts before the main headliner, many of whom have made the rounds on the comedy circuit, such as late-night TV and comedy specials. Upcoming headliners include:
- Tony Roberts, known for his appearances on “Def Comedy Jam” and “Shaq’s All-Star Comedy Jam”: Sept. 3-5
- Colin Kane, winner of Howard Stern’s “Kill or Be Killed” comedy competition and a performer for the Wounded Warrior Project: Sept. 8-9
- DC Curry, best recognized for his roles in the “Friday” series, including as Uncle Elroy in “Next Friday”: Sept. 10-12
- Calvin Evans, the stand-up performer from Chicago will record his show live for a forthcoming album: Sept. 15
- Sam Morril, New York stand-up comic and a regular on “This Week at the Comedy Cellar” on Comedy Central: Sept. 16-19
- Matt McCusker, host of “Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast”: Sept. 22
- Joe List, known for his appearances on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” “The Late Show with David Letterman” and “Conan”: Sept. 23-25
- J-L Cauvin, the veteran stand-up comedian has plenty of viral videos and has been seen on “The Late Late Show”: Sept. 26
- Matt Bergman, known for his work on “Gotham Comedy Live” and “Comedy Central Live”: Sept. 28
- Jessica Michelle Singleton, global performer who was nominated for a Grammy for a comedy album will be recording her next album at this show: Sept. 29
If you’re looking for a few laughs, head back out for a night on the town that includes a trip to Helium Comedy Club.
2031 Sansom St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103